So this was a big one! I actually meant to save it for later on in this venture, but I felt compelled to get started yesterday. This one took two days! I feel like some more things might shift here still, but I found places for a lot of things that were scattered about and got rid of some extras and some garbage, and dealt with the counter sprawl.
So! Again I didn’t approach most of the deeper cleaning just yet. My main goals in the kitchen were:
-clear off the pile of stuff on the counter, including papers to be filed and basket of random junk
-find homes for or get rid of various glass jars and plant pots that were covering the tops of the counters
-go through the cupboards and drawers and make more sense of them – food and dishes
I also intended to go through the pantry closet which is mostly filled with small appliances and recycling containers, but after getting through everything else it doesn’t seem very necessary – it just needs a bit of a clean and that can wait!
I’m going to post the pictures by area because there is a lot here.
Starting with the food cupboards!
Here is the first one before:
I pulled a surprising amount of egg cartons out which were picked up promptly after posting them on the local for free page. I cleared out some other things to recycle and put our massive cereal collection and bags of chips and other pantry things back in.
Here it is after:
Very full, but everything is lined up nicely and accessible.
Next one before:
Way too much stuff was crammed in here! With the cereal out of the way I was able to arrange the rest much better. I tossed a couple old and stale things. Here it is after:
So much easier to find things! Especially all the teas.
And the baking and pasta stuff here, before:
Again just so much stuff. I tossed a few things and put everything back more orderly. Here it is after:
I feel like our baking ingredients are always a bit much, but I really like to have things on hand for spontaneous treat making so I make it work!
Here’s another before:
All our food storage containers plus chips. With the food out of the way, I organized the lids and containers and added the jars I wanted to keep, and other containers taken out of other areas. Doesn’t look quite so tidy after, but everything is easy to find and organized in a way that makes sense to me. Here it is:
So that brings me to the place those jars came from, before:
The top of my cupboard was covered!
But I thought I had room for the plant pots in here…
So that turned into this:
Got the plant stuff in here and my watering can off the counter, and arranged what else needed to be up here more tidily.
So with the jars and pots out of the way, the top of the cupboards are clear!
And the counter top sprawl here…
I decided to actually move our little filing system out here. Not the totally clear counter I was hoping for, but way more convenient for actually putting papers away instead of letting them pile up. I went through the random junk, tossed a bit and moved a lot to the craft room where it can be put away properly when I tackle that space.
So after all that, here is the whole spread now:
And a couple other little things, some dishes and things before:
Not too much work with these, took out a couple broken or needless things, rearranged the rest better and ended up with:
And that’s about it! That’s not every bit of storage space in the kitchen, but that’s where most of the work was done. I’m sure I missed describing some things, but I hope the photos at least give you an idea of the transformation here. I am really happy with with. And now I am set to take it easy for the rest of the day!
Stay tuned for the next area to be posted! And thanks to everyone who’s been doing their own work and sharing with me on the Facebook page! It keeps me motivated to keep going, too!